Monday, January 27, 2014

Lightening my load

It's ironic that, just when I start posting again, I will be leaving in a week for a month-long trip to Laos.  The timing of the trip actually affects my recent unhealthy lifestyle in a couple of ways.

First of all, Karin and I started planning this trip before Ironman, so I knew we would be gone for the month of February.  Because of that, all of my upcoming fitness goals--triathlons, half-marathons and marathons--are in the fairly distant future; so I had nothing pressing to compel me to jump back into a training regimen anytime soon after Ironman.

Secondly, The closer we get to our departure for Laos the more imperative it becomes for me to shed some pounds and regain some fitness.  For one thing, our plans in Laos include some very challenging hiking.  But more importantly, when Karin and I travel long-term, we live out of a backpack.  That means we pack about 3 shirts, a pair of shorts or capris, and maybe a pair of pants.  What that means is: My clothes have to fit!  I don't have a lot of options on the road, so I have to be comfortable in the few clothes I bring.

When Karin and I went to Nepal in 2012 I gained some weight before the trip.  I wasn't too concerned because we would be hiking 5-8 hours a day in Nepal, so I knew the extra weight would come off fairly quickly.  The problem is, since we were carrying everything on our backs for those hours of hiking, I brought 1 pair of hiking pants.  I tried them on in the hotel in Kathmandu the night before we started our hike, and I could barely button them!  And when I did get them buttoned there were love handles flopping over the waistband, the crotch of the pants was all up in my business, and the butt was like one of those food-saver bags after all the air has been sucked out of it.  I was up half the night, stressed and near tears wondering how on earth I was going to wear those pants, much less hike in them!

Fortunately, they did loosen up within a couple days, and by the end of the trip they were a bit baggy!  But man the first couple days sucked!


(Day 1) Holy tight pants, Batman!

(Day 20-something) Aaaahhhh, a little breathing room!


I actually had the reverse happen on a trip to Burma and Thailand in 2009.  When I left for Burma I was in great shape.  The one pair of capris I brought on that trip were a size 6, and they fit.  But after about a week in Thailand, with my days full of spring rolls, pad thai and Thai pancakes, I could not even button the capris on the plane ride home!  (The 18 HOUR plane ride home!)

So, having experienced the discomfort of limited-wardrobe-travel when that limited wardrobe does not quite fit, I am determined to lose at least a few pounds so I will be comfortable in the few things I bring with me to Laos.  To this end, I have put Karin and myself on a diet-and-exercise plan for the next week.

I have actually been exercising very consistently since the beginning of the year.  I exercise at least 4 days a week.  But of course, that is exercise like a regular person--40 minutes or so of running or intervals, or the occasional 2 hour hike.  Nothing compared to Ironman training.  Which means I can no longer consume Ironman calories!  So far the diet has been the missing link.  I have been eating a decent amount of fruits and veggies, but that is in addition to, rather than instead of an obscene amount of junk.

So far we have both been very successful on our "diet" (diet is a dirty word--really it is just mindful, very healthy eating).

It has been 14 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment