Saturday, September 14, 2013

Meeting new people (Some BRAND NEW to the world!) and running in other cities

Wow it has been forever since I posted!  The main reason for that is that I have been traveling a bit and haven't had my computer with me.  The reason for that is that I accidentally vacuumed up my computer cord the day we left San Diego.  So I have been waiting for the replacement to arrive.  In the meantime, I have used Karin's laptop, but it is big and not handy for travel.

So, let's catch up!

In the last week I have been to Boise, ID and Seattle, WA.  Karin and I went to Boise to attend the wedding of her college freshman roommate, Michelle.  We had a great weekend there, I got to meet a bunch of really awesome people, and we really liked the town of Boise.  The weather was great, and I managed to get in a 13 mile run along the greenbelt that runs for miles and miles along the Boise River.  We could have happily spent more time there and will likely go back.


View from my awesome run along the Boise River.

Free breakfast at the hotel after my run!  My favorite: Biscuits and Gravy!

From Boise I flew straight to Seattle, because on August 31st this adorable little bundle arrived:

My new niece! Peyton Ellis Johnson.

One of the many great things about flying for free is that I get to see family fairly often.  And when a new baby arrives I can fly to Seattle to hold the newborn, visit my nephew and other niece, and try to help out my sister.  I feel extremely lucky to be able to do this!

I am also lucky that everyone in my life is ridiculously supportive of my Ironman training, and my sister, Kristen, sleep deprived and overwhelmed with a brand new baby and 2 other kids, was like, "Okay, what training do you need to do?  When do you want to do your run?"  My gym, LA Fitness, has a location not far from her, so I drove the family minivan, car seats and all, to the gym to get in a swim workout.  I also got in a hill workout--2 mile warm up, 10 times up a hill and back down, 2 mile cool down.  Actually, every run there is a hill workout!  Her house is surrounded by hills, so even the warm up and cool down were hilly.

I also got in my 15 mile long run.  I was so relieved not to have to do it in Phoenix.  Fortunately I have barely had to do a run over 10 miles in Phoenix yet!  A month of long runs in San Diego, then a run in Boise and one in Seattle, and next week my roommate, Peggy and I are flying to San Francisco for our long run.

On my 15 miler in Seattle.
Mile 13 of my 15 mile run in Seattle was completely uphill, for the whole mile.  I thought I was going to die, and the rest of the run after that was a struggle.  I feel like my running has been coming along nicely, and that is the one area in which I actually have a shred of confidence, but this run scared me.  The last mile was such a struggle, just to keep going, that I got pretty worried about the Ironman marathon!

The thing about Ironman is that it is not just a huge time commitment, but a big financial one as well.  On the current list of things to buy: Yet another bike saddle (still haven't found my saddle soul mate), handle bar tape, bike speedometer, new helmet and new sunglasses.  Unfortunately, all my traveling and time off has actually been pretty good for training; not so much for the budget.

When all is said and done I will compile a list of exactly what my Ironman dream ends up costing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment