Monday, July 15, 2013

Week 2 in the bag

Week 2 of my training program didn't turn out exactly like it looked on paper at the beginning of the week. There was the abbreviated long ride on Wednesday; then a shortened trainer ride on Friday, because I couldn't squeeze my whole workout in between work and an evening baseball game.  In my head it should have worked: home from work by 2:45, leave for the game at 5:30; that gives me 2 hours and 45 minutes to do a 90 minute workout and then shower and get ready for the game.  Except...I can't jump on the trainer the minute I walk in the door...I have to greet Riley and put my stuff down and change and get water bottles...and my 30 minute swim requires a 20 minute round trip drive to the gym, plus rinsing off and changing afterward...and suddenly there is no way to fit 90 minutes of working out into a 2 hour 45 minute window!

I am finding this to be the case quite often.  I added up the minutes and my total training time this past week was 10.5 hours.  Sure, that is a lot of training time, but not a huge chunk of time spread over a whole week. So why do I constantly feel like I just don't have enough time?  I realized that in addition to actual time spent training, I spend an enormous amount of time driving to the gym, driving to areas for quality long rides, preparing fuel/hydration for long workouts, rinsing myself and my gear after swims,  and taking my bike on and off the trainer or in and out of the car.  For 10 hours of actual training there is at least an additional 3 hours just for preparation and transportation.

But this was a busy week after all.  I worked 48 hours, had a doctor appointment, a dentist appointment, a flat tire, a subsequent purchase and installment of new tires, and a baseball game.

My training week turned out as follows:

MON:   45 MIN. SWIM (Steady pace "endurance" swim)
TUE:     REST DAY!
WED:    27 MILE RIDE (outside)
             1 HR RIDE (inside)
THUR:  9 MILE RUN
             FULL BODY STRENGTH TRAINING (including plyometrics)
FRI:      30 MIN SWIM (drills + 10 x 50 yard sprints)
             30 MIN. TRAINER RIDE
SAT:     1 HR. TRAINER RIDE (speed intervals)
             45 MIN SWIM (drills + 4 x 200 yds, 4 x 25 yds)
SUN:    6 MILE TEMPO RUN (2.5 miles @ "comfortably hard" pace)
             30 MIN TRAINER RIDE (to make up for the missed 30 min. on Friday)
             STRENGTH TRAINING (Kettlebell circuit)

Ideally I would have gotten in a short transition run after my long ride, but all in all, I am extremely pleased with this training week!  Especially yesterday, when I ran 6 miles in the morning, worked 11 hours, then came home and did an intense 30 minute trainer ride and strength workout.  There were plenty of times this week where, in the past I would have found excuses to bail on workouts; I would be "too tired" or I would just give in to the desire for pizza, beer and brownies before a workout, then be too full and tired to go workout.  But that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.  Maybe it is the big motivator, FEAR, or maybe it just feels good to be fit, but something has shifted.  Not only am I more disciplined about training but, as Karin pointed out, I have a whole new attitude now.  There was a good stretch there where I was coming home discouraged or frustrated after virtually every workout.  But for this last month or so I have been enjoying my workouts, even my long rides, and feel great after all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment