Monday, July 1, 2013

Off to a great start!

DAY 1: 40 mile bike ride + 2 mile "transition" run.  DONE!

I planned to start my ride no later than 5:30 am since it was supposed to get up to 113 degrees today.  Well...I just didn't want to get out of bed!  So I started my ride closer to 8 am.  Honestly, 100 degrees....105 degrees...what's the difference?  It was gonna be hot by mile 30 no matter what.  It was about 93 degrees when I started my ride, and about 105 by the time I finished my run.

I did the previously "spirit-crushing" ride again.  And I did the 12 mile spirit crushing part twice!  I feel like I have made huge strides in both my physical and mental fitness.  I am not any faster on this route, which is definitely cause for concern!  Although it was about 30 degrees hotter today than when I rode it several months ago.  I know people run slower in the heat; I assume it is the same with cycling.  But I definitely felt better.  I think it is easier to push through a challenging workout when I am fit enough to not feel like it may actually kill me!  Also, I am way more comfortable on the bike!  A few months ago I was worried about dehydration and lack of energy because I was afraid to take my hand off the handlebars to reach for my water bottle.  In fact, today I had given myself permission to just ride the 35 mile route because it was challenging and hot, but when I got back to the main road, I felt so great that I went the extra 5 miles!  Then I did a super quick transition into running shorts and shoes and did my 2 mile run, averaging 9:30 per mile!  In this heat, and after a 40 mile bike ride I would be thrilled with 10 minute miles.  To run 9:30 miles, and feel great doing it was a huge confidence boost.  It also tells me that my nutrition and hydration on the bike was spot-on; no small feat on a hot day like this.

All in all, it was a great start to "real" training.  It gave me confidence going forward, but it also made me feel like I have made real progress in my fitness and that all my months of training is paying off.

It hit 118 degrees on Friday and 117 on Saturday, but now it is supposed to "cool down" to around 108 later in the week.  When it is 118 degrees outside and I have been working outside all day, it makes me very happy that swimming is part of my training!  Nothing feels better than jumping in the pool after a day like that!  I am also glad that when I am on the bike I make my own breeze, so it really isn't that bad until I stop, at which point it feels like I stepped into an oven.  In years past I haven't trained in the summer, because it sucks.  I don't do fall races, because running in Phoenix when it is already 100 degrees at 7 am is miserable. But I knew what I would be dealing with when I signed up for a fall Ironman, and I think like with everything else regarding Ironman training, fear is the best motivator.  Not training is not an option.  So I just do it, and do what I can to mitigate the misery.  And make sure to stay hydrated!

Fortunately, I will have some relief.  Karin and I are going to Minnesota for the next few days for the 4th of July, so I will have somewhat cooler temps for my runs this week, and a lake for open water swimming.  Hmm, it seems my "vacations" lately have an unusually large emphasis on exercise opportunities.  Such is Ironman training!  Then we hope to spend most of August in San Diego, where Karin's extremely kind sister and her extremely kind boyfriend let us stay with them for weeks at a time!  San Diego is kind of the birthplace of triathlon, after all, and a fantastic place to train.  So really, I just have to survive July in Phoenix.  I mean, September sucks too; but I think it sucks mostly because I always expect it to not suck, so I am never prepared when it does.  If I recall correctly, it is still well above 100 degrees into October, but I think it at least starts to cool down at night in September, so early workouts are bearable.  Though the weird weather we have been having the last couple years makes me think maybe all bets are off.

Whatever happens weather- and location-wise, it seems that a looming Ironman has made me willing to workout in conditions I previously considered unbearable; and actually enjoy myself!








No comments:

Post a Comment