Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my training!

Today is the last day of my "base" training phase.  Tomorrow begins my official, structured Ironman training program.  It is a 20 week program: 10 weeks of a "build" phase, 7 weeks of "peak" training, and a 3 week "taper", when I gradually reduce my training volume to be fresh and rested for the race.  Simply put, my training program is: more, more, MORE, then a little less.  The truth is, I have made this big deal of July 1st being the beginning of my real program, but it's not such a huge leap.  It's really just doing what I have been doing for 6 months: Gradually building up mileage and intensity to prepare my body for this massive one-day undertaking.  It's funny, when I put it that way.  I am spending A YEAR preparing for A DAY!  Crazy!  But that's not news.

The main difference going forward will be that my training schedule will be much more structured with more specific and concrete goals.  Before it was a matter of trying to get in key workouts and building fitness through consistency, but it was fairly haphazard.  Also, the distances will be getting consistently and progressively longer, aiming for peak fitness at the time of the race.  And it is just going to be more of everything.  Short technique-centered swims will now be longer swims; I will add in the third weekly run that I took out for base training.  The different phases are very aptly named: BASE being just putting in the time to slowly get your body fit enough to handle the training load; BUILD adding to the base, gradually building speed and endurance; and PEAK is pretty much "I cannot imagine maintaining this level of training for any longer!"

Needless to say, I am super excited for this next step in my Ironman journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment