Friday, June 21, 2013

Back in training

I got back from vacation on Tuesday night, but today was my first day back to training.  I did an hour on the bike trainer and 40 minutes in the pool.  Shortly before I went on vacation I discovered the motivational value of watching cycling while I was riding on the trainer, so I set up the DVR before I left and came home to this:


That's right; hours and hours of motivational programming to watch while I pedal my heart out on the trainer! Tonight I watched the women's triathlon world series in Auckland, New Zealand.

In between my bike and my swim I went for a 1.25 mile run with Karin.  It was 4:30 pm and 106 degrees.  We did this for only one reason: to get a taste of what we are in for tomorrow, when we will be participating in a 5k called Scottsdale Beat The Heat, which takes place at 2:47 pm.  It should be around 105 degrees.  This is what runners in Phoenix do for fun during the summer months...apparently.


I am currently reading a book called Be Iron Fit.  It is a general guide to Ironman training and racing, including several training plans.  It occurred to me about half way through that I should have read this book 6 months ago!  For instance, while reading about the marathon portion of the race it suddenly became clear to me that all that hemming and hawing and deliberating I did back in December about running a marathon in Ironman training was completely irrelevant.  It is now obvious that the training for and running of the Lost Dutchman Marathon was well outside the actual Ironman training period (the longest training plan I have come across is 36 weeks, and most are between 26-30), so it was really never an issue.  I could have trained for it like a regular marathon, ran it, recovered, then started Ironman training.  Oh well.  This whole Ironman thing is nothing if not a learning process!


No comments:

Post a Comment