Monday, June 3, 2013

Vacation!

When I am not running, swimming, scuba diving or yoga-ing I will be HERE.
In four days I am leaving for a 12 day vacation to Little Corn Island in Nicaragua.  Little Corn is a tiny island in the Caribbean that you can only reach by water taxi from Big Corn Island, which you reach by a tiny plane.  We are going primarily for scuba diving, but it is also a great place to just relax.  It is fairly undeveloped, with electricity available about 5 hours a day, I think.  There are no vehicles; just dirt paths to link the various beaches, restaurants and dive shops.

So I will not be on my bike for at least 12 days.  That is a big deal for someone in Ironman training!

However, I will have plenty of opportunities for running:


and even better, endless opportunities for open water swimming:


I just downloaded a bunch of books on my kindle for the trip, among them several "beach reads"...but also the book "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance."  Even on a Caribbean island, Ironman is never out of mind!  In fact, it was on a dive trip to Fiji last year that I read [Ironman World Champion] Chrissie Wellington's memoir, "A Life Without Limits" and first became intrigued by this whole Ironman thing.  By the end of that trip I had downloaded and read 3 more books about Ironman!  Within a few days of returning home I got a gym membership to have pool access for training.

Anyway, though I will be training on vacation, I plan to seriously relax and enjoy the low-key island life.

And then, shortly after I get back to real life...JULY 1ST my REAL training begins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment