Thursday, June 27, 2013

Muddy Buddies are not your friends!

Karin was out of town for 2 nights and I got into 2 bad habits.  One was staying up late (like till after 11 pm!).  The other was making Chex Muddy Buddies.

Chex Muddy Buddies
For the uninitiated, they are called "Buddies", but don't be fooled.  They are not your friends.  They are like crack, and once you start making them you will keep making them until you are out of ALL the ingredients.  If you run out of only ONE ingredient, you will go out and replace it, and this cycle will continue until finally, mercifully, you are out of all ingredients simultaneously.  Also, I do not stop eating them when I am full.  I do not stop until either a) I am too sick to move or b) I run out of Muddy Buddies.

So, between the Buddies and the late nights I was not at my best for a few days.  My only workout Monday was the full body strength workout I did with my friend Kristin, which I literally yawned all the way through.  Then Tuesday (my day off from work!) I slept in till 7 am, spent hours on the internet, took a nap, made more Muddy Buddies, and did not work out at all!  Fortunately I ran out of Chex that day, and now I am back on track.

Yesterday I did the 25 mile "hilly" ride that used to drive me to tears on a regular basis.  I haven't ridden it in months!  I think February was the last time.  Yesterday I rode it and I did not cry, or even come close to crying!  My mental attitude was great!  I think it was a combination of being in better shape, so it wasn't quite as hard, and being mentally prepared for it to be challenging.  I feel like before I was seriously shocked at how hard it was every time I rode it.  Like I couldn't believe the hill was still that long.  But this time I treated it as the challenge it was and just kept pushing through.

This morning I ran 9 miles to work, which went great; then Kristin, Karin and I went to the gym after work and did our full body strength routine.  I hadn't been in the pool since Sunday, so I did a quick pool workout.  Just 18 minutes of technique drills, just to keep my feel for the water.

That's a good day of workouts!  Makes me want to reward myself...with some Muddy Buddies!


No comments:

Post a Comment