Monday, May 6, 2013

And the training roller coaster continues...

So after crying in to my goggles during Friday's long swim workout (I wish I was kidding) the Ironman training roller coaster is on another "up."

During Friday's swim I was not making good times on my 100 yard intervals.  The times were, in fact, exactly what they were when I first started training 6 months ago!  I mean, seriously?  No progress?! In 6 months?!  (I trust my liberal use of italics is conveying my distress.)  So that was incredibly disappointing and frustrating, resulting in the previously mentioned crying-in-goggles incident.  Despite my frustration with that swim, on that day alone I did: 45 minutes swimming, 15 minute run, 30 minutes on bike trainer, and a full body strength workout with kettlebells.  Just by the numbers it would look like a good training day!

Today, however, was a different story!  I did an hour long swim including 7 x 100 yard intervals, all of which were about 1 min. 55 sec. (which is good for me!) and a bunch of technique drills and other random intervals sprinkled in.  I didn't want to keep doing 100 yard intervals when I felt I hadn't even recovered from the previous one, but I did it anyway!  Then I did an hour on the trainer watching TV, and going as fast as I could during the commercial breaks.  Some of those commercial breaks were over 4 minutes long!  It was good mental training because I never knew when I was going to be done with the interval.  It is strange how some days I have the mental capacity to push myself and some days I don't.

This is what the last week looked like, training-wise:

Mon: 1/2 mile open water swim
         2 mile run
Tue: 20 minutes sitting in wetsuit staring at ocean/5 minutes struggling in the waves
        5.5 mile run
Wed: 20 min. run w/ random speed intervals
        Full body strength workout
        23 minute swim w/ 50 yard intervals
        45 minute trainer ride with "commercial break speed intervals"
Thur: 35 minute trainer ride
Fri: 45 minute swim
      Full body strength workout with kettlebell
      30 minute trainer ride
      15 minute "transition run" immediately following ride
Sat: No workout (double shift at work)
Sun: 40 minute trainer ride with intervals

Despite the crying, that's a good training week!  It's not a ton of volume, especially on the bike, but I get high marks for consistency!

I got home from my Saturday double shift at about 10 pm, then got up at 4:20 am Sunday morning to get in 40 minutes on the trainer before working my 16 hour double shift.  I can only assume the workout was the reason--but I felt great Sunday!  I didn't even refill my morning coffee like I usually do after the first cup, and at no point in the day did I find myself struggling to stay awake, or falling into an energy slump.  Some days, particularly between a double shift followed by an early morning shift, it is always a balancing act choosing between sleep or training.  Usually sleep wins, but maybe I have been making the wrong choice.  Also, I had every intention of stopping for donuts (yes, plural) on my way to work Sunday, but after my great ride I didn't want to!  So maybe there are benefits to choosing the early morning workout.  Soon, of course, I won't have a choice.  My outdoor workouts will have to be early (4:30 am) or not at all, because come June it will be 100 degrees by 8 am.  A few years ago when I was training for a July half marathon, I remember waiting until almost 11 pm to do my 10 mile run because that is when the temperature finally dropped to 100 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment