Thursday, May 30, 2013

Home Improvement and swimming improvement

My last 2 weekends (My "weekend" is actually Monday and Tuesday, because those are my days off) have been all about home improvement projects.  Last week it was hanging and wiring new lamps.



This week it was refinishing the kitchen counters to look like granite with a DIY kit.

                                               
Before











After




















I am not sure how many Ironmen-in-training embark on home improvement projects during training, but if they are relatively small like these, training can work around it.  For instance, the counters had to dry for a long time between each step, so my day went like this:



SPONGE PAINT TO LOOK LIKE GRANITE. SWIM WHILE IT DRIES.


PAINT FIRST COAT OF GLOSSY FINISH.  BIKE WHILE IT DRIES.

My original plan was to do my long run and long ride on my 2 days off, because it just makes the most sense, time-wise.  But that hasn't happened yet.  Right now the weather is still okay to do long runs around sunset and long rides right after work.  (It doesn't sound okay; it was 99 degrees during my long ride and 95 degrees when I started my long run, but in a month that will be the low temp and it won't get that cool till 3 am, so for now it feels great!)  When it gets hotter I will have to do my long outdoor workouts on my days off, because I will need to start before sunrise, and my workdays start at 5:30 am, so workouts before work are not realistic (or safe!).  Which brings me to my other issue: sleep.  The only time I ever get 8 hours is on my days off.  Otherwise I am lucky to get 6 1/2.  I have to get up at 4:15 am for work, which means that for me to get 8 hours of sleep I would have to be in bed by 8pm!  But I guess that is why Ironman training pretty much is your life when you're in it, because if you work, then workout, then eat...suddenly it is time for bed!  Hence the necessity for an understanding partner!

Speaking of workouts...during my Tuesday swim intervals I clocked the fastest 100 yard interval I have ever done!  Then I did the next one even faster!!!  (To be clear: these are still not fast times.  But they were faster than my usual.)  It's like when people find love as soon as they stop looking; I improved as soon as I stopped expecting to.  I really don't need or expect to be good; but I really do want to get better!  So as long as we are on the subject I may as well mention that I ran 9 miles last night and my last 2 miles were faster than the first 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment