Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Workout buddies

Workout buddies are very valuable.  They can get us to show up for a workout when we would sleep in otherwise, they can motivate us to push ourselves, and they can make working out more fun.  In Phoenix I do a lot of strength and plyometric workouts with my friend Kristin, which is way better than doing them alone.  Today I am in Seattle and my workout buddies are:

My nephew and niece Ty and Sydney
So today's training consisted of:

50 minutes in the pool (40 minutes playing/10 minutes swimming 50 yard fast intervals)
1 hour "run" (a random mixture of running and walking dictated by the whims of a 6 year old boy)

Ty asked if he could go running with me, and insisted that he was "a great runner" (yes, that is a direct quote!), so off we went down the huge hill on his street, then back up.  I kind of assumed that would be the end of our workout, but Ty had bigger plans in mind.  He proceeded to tell me exactly what our route would be, including hills and turns and a bridge, at which point we would turn around and come back.  So we kept going, sometimes walking, sometimes running, me reminding him that as far as we went we would have to come back, and double (and triple and quadruple) checking that he was sure he wanted to go that far.  He insisted.  So we kept going.  Then about 100 yards short of the bridge, our turnaround point, he suddenly stopped short, and began walking very very slowly.  I asked if something was wrong, and he said, "I have to go to the bathroom."  He then clarified, under my questioning, that it was in fact #2.  We had already been going for 25 minutes at this point, and would now have at least a mile back to the house.

Fortunately, we passed a park with an open restroom just minutes later.  But we were not out of the woods yet.  He went into the bathroom, but came out and said the hole in the toilet bowl was not big enough to handle his "really big poop."  After a lot (I mean, seriously, a lot) of reassurance that it could handle anything he could dish out, he went in again.  Again he returned and this time informed me that "no poop came out."  It was a very long mile home from there.

As I have demonstrated previously, I tend to get stressed when I don't get in my quality training workouts.  Well today's "training" was likely the least efficient workout I have ever done, and I am not the least bit stressed.

When Ty was getting ready for bed tonight he asked me, "Can we go running again tomorrow?"

Yes, Ty, my little Ironman, we can!

Me and Ty after our run!


No comments:

Post a Comment