Sunday, August 4, 2013

Long run

Yesterday our roommate Peggy flew out to San Diego so we could do our long run together.  She is currently training for the NYC marathon in November, and we were both scheduled to do a 12 mile run this week.  12 miles in Phoenix would suck right now (which is why I am here!) so she came out and we did a 12 mile run around Mission Bay.  Then we had a nap, then went out for fish tacos and a beer.


Peggy and I taking a break for photo op.
Our 12 mi. route around Mission Bay.







I arrived in San Diego on Friday morning, at which point I had a breakfast burrito, then promptly fell asleep for a multi-hour nap.  When I woke up, I did a 1 hour ride on my trainer followed by a 5 mile tempo run.  I haven't completed a successful tempo run in 2 weeks; one week was that bad run that I cut short at 3 miles, and the next week a torrential downpour, complete with dangerously close thunder and lightning, started a half mile into my run.  I kept going for another mile until, looking like a drowned rat, I deemed it just too dangerous to continue.  So yesterday's tempo run was a confidence booster.

When I got back from my run there was a note on the table that Karin, Megan and Tyler (her sister and her fiance, our August benefactors) had ridden beach cruisers to Ocean Beach to get fish tacos.  So I hopped on my bike and went to catch them.  I was able to catch up because they were on cruisers, which meant that once we were riding together I would take one pedal stroke, then have to coast to avoid rolling right into them.  It was a great day.  I love the fact that I can sleep half my day away, and still get in a full training workout and a fun ride with friends!


1 comment:

  1. I think it's hilarious that Peggy FLEW to San Diego just to do a long run with you.

    ReplyDelete