Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Too much time on my hands leads to not enough time on the bike and in the water

It's 11:15 am and I am still in my pajamas.  I didn't even wake up until 9 am, despite going to bed well before 11 pm last night.  The problem I am facing is that when I am on vacation for a month, there is very little that I have to do.  As I proved on my first day here in San Diego, I can sleep most of the day and still get in a great training session.  But knowing that makes it a lot harder to get out of bed and get my training done early.

The problem is that not getting it done early often leads to not getting it done at all.

Case in point: Yesterday my family came to San Diego for a Family Beach Day.  We didn't hit the beach till 11 am, which should have, theoretically, left me plenty of time to get in both my 5 mile tempo run and my 1 hour open water swim.  But once I rolled out of bed, I spent a good hour and a half just sitting around drinking coffee and wasting time on the internet.  Reading blogs.  Looking at bikes again.  (Seriously, it's like running shoes all over again!  I spend way more time looking at bikes than riding mine!)  Then suddenly I can barely squeeze in my 5 mile run before the family gets here, and by the end of the day (around 9 pm) I am way too tired to get in any further training.

Since I arrived in San Diego 4 days ago I have completed the following training:

12 mile run
1 hr bike ride (on trainer) + 5 mi. tempo run
15 mile outdoor bike ride
5 mi. tempo run

Clearly this lifestyle is very conducive to running, as I have already gotten in more running in 4 days than I do in a week in Phoenix.  Unfortunately, I am supposed to be training for 3 sports, not just 1.  And running is my strongest sport, and therefore the one I should be focusing on the least.  Running here is easy, because the weather is great and all I have to do is walk out the door.  Biking and swimming require more preparation and effort.  They did in Phoenix too, of course, but I had a routine and familiar routes there, and the gym was a short drive away.

So it seems that training should be easier here due to: 1. Good weather and 2. A plethora of free time.  And yet it actually seems harder due to: 1. Lack of familiar routine/surroundings and 2. A plethora of free time. Once you find yourself still in your pajamas at noon, you also find yourself quite unmotivated to get your day started at that point.  I think I have mentioned before that: If I don't get my day started early enough, it never starts at all.

Now I will attempt to drag myself to the bathroom and brush my teeth and put in my contact lenses and join the living in the outdoors.  The goal is Mission Bay, a mere 1/2 mile stroll down the road, where I will complete a 1 hour open water swim.

But first, maybe a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment