Sunday, October 13, 2013

5 WEEKS TILL IRONMAN! Back on my feet.

It has been exactly a week since I twisted my ankle, injuring my foot.  The good news is that after a couple days of full rest, plus ice, compression and elevation, I was able to maintain my bike and swim training.  I didn't get in a long ride this week, because I spent my days off, which are usually long ride or run days, resting.  Also, the twisting motion of unclipping from my bike pedal is the exact motion that aggravates my injury; so I have only been riding on the trainer, where I only unclip at the end of the ride, instead of at every stop like on the road.

This morning was my first attempt at running since the injury.  Karin and I had signed up, with my sister Denise, for a  4-mile charity run to support a Pitbull rescue organization called Lost Paws.  I ran the 4 miles at a comfortable pace, not fast, and my foot felt just fine!  There was no indication, either during or after the run, that anything had happened to my foot!  This is fantastic news, because I already really miss running!  I am going to proceed with my planned week of peak training, and just pay attention to any indications that I need to back off.

We did the run, then went out for breakfast, and, as I have surely said a million times, I can think of no better way to spend a beautiful Sunday morning!

Despite this minor setback I am feeling very confident in my training.  The forced rest may even have been a good mental break, because after a week of no running and no rides outside, I am chomping at the bit to get out there and push myself.  (This is still not the case in the pool; at this point I am actually looking forward to getting punched and kicked in the swim just to liven the sport up.)




No comments:

Post a Comment