Monday, October 7, 2013

"Noooooooooo!"

Right now I should be in the middle of a 56 mile ride during my 1/2 Ironman race simulation workout.  Instead I am sitting at my computer because yesterday, as I was getting off the employee bus after work, I stepped down clumsily and turned my ankle.  My very first thought, before I even fell to my knees, before the shooting pain even registered, was, "IRONMAN! NO NO NO NO NO!"  Tears sprung to my eyes and I literally lost my breath; I was gasping for air as I pulled myself up the stairs by the hand rail, but I still do not know if the tears and hyperventilation were due to the pain, shock, or the pure terror of possibly watching my Ironman dreams go up in smoke.  I suspect it was the latter.

As soon as we got home I sat down while Karin got me towels to elevate my foot, Ibuprofen for the swelling, and ice to put on it.  I iced it several times, then wrapped it in an Ace bandage. R.I.C.E.  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  I am usually not so proactive or immediate in my treatment of things like this, but there is a lot at stake here!  I had to nip this in the bud!


Today I can at least walk around on it, although with a bit of a limp, since I can't fully flex the foot as I would when walking normally.  Later today I will clip into my bike on the trainer and see if biking requires my foot to flex in a way that impacts the injured area.  If not, that is great news!  If it requires me to cut back on swimming, even better!  I do not see running in my immediate future, which is very sad; at least running is my strongest sport!

So the good news is, there is every indication that my Ironman dream is still intact.  The bad news is that, right when I should be training at my peak, I will be scaling back, at least in running.



No comments:

Post a Comment