Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"A" for effort

Sometimes the key to successful, fulfilling Ironman training for someone like me is simply managing expectations.  Tonight I had a fantastic swim workout.  I am not any faster.  Not one bit. But I felt strong.  I was able to maintain my form and focus.  I did a variety of intervals so I didn't get bored.  It turns out I still enjoy swimming--if I just let myself enjoy it, and don't get caught up in the numbers.

When I got to the pool tonight there was a woman already there, who looked to be, maybe 50-ish. There was a walker next to where her towel was hanging.  She continued to swim laps for about 30 minutes after I got there.  When she got out I was resting between intervals.  She asked if I could hear her, which I could, just barely.  I lifted my swim cap to hear her better and she told me, "I just wanted to tell you that you really motivated me today.  I used to be in the Navy, and watching you swimming lap after lap reminded me how I used to swim, and really motivated me to keep doing my laps today."

I have been training for almost a year now in an attempt to become competent at three sports in which I exhibit no natural talent.  As you know from this blog, it has been a bit of a roller coaster. Just last week I was back to crying in my goggles.  Just yesterday, 75 miles into my 90 mile ride, a couple on bikes blew by me like I was standing still, and despite what felt like my greatest possible effort, I could not catch them.  Talk about confidence-crushing.

But tonight at the pool I was reminded that you never know who is watching, or what they need that they may get from your accidental example.  Had she been there last Wednesday, when I was crying in my goggles, she may not have been so inspired.

But more importantly, regardless of who is watching, it's not always about hitting the goal pace or beating the random couple on bikes who (I tell myself) only rode 20 miles to my 90...

SOMETIMES JUST THE EFFORT IS ENOUGH.


No comments:

Post a Comment