Thursday, October 24, 2013

Letter to Garmin

Forerunner 110 malfunction

Kari de Jong <wanderwoman11@gmail.com>
7:41 AM (3 hours ago)
to social.support
Dear Garmin,

I am training for an Ironman, and suffice it to say my Forerunner 110 has been my best friend for the last 6 months or so.  Unfortunately, as of late my best friend has turned against me.  On a 14 mile run a few weeks ago it went blank when I hit the start button (in spite of a fully charged battery), and remained blank until I was able to plug it in hours later.  Then  yesterday, on a 20 mile run on an out-of-town trip, 6 minutes into the run I hit the timer stop button at a stoplight.  Immediately the screen froze and the watch started emitting an extremely high-pitched buzzing.  I pushed every available button, but nothing would make the watch start again; but worse yet, nothing would stop the buzzing.  Since I don't run with a teeny tiny screwdriver, I was at a loss for what to do.  I now had no way of knowing how far or fast I was going, but I also had no idea what time it was.  I had to stop my run and pull out my cell phone periodically to get an idea of how long I had been running.  I ran for 3.5 hours.  Have you ever run for 3.5 hours with a high-pitched buzzing in your ear?!?!  Upon my return to my hotel I plugged the watch in, hoping that would reset it. But to no avail!  It continued to buzz!  I had to wrap the buzzing watch in several layers of clothing and stuff it deep inside my luggage to muffle the sound that I had no way of stopping.

Upon returning home, my first instinct was to place the watch on my driveway, then roll over it with my car.  However, I assumed that would void the warranty, and the truth is I would really miss my formerly reliable little Garmin running buddy.  So imagine my chagrin to log on to the Garmin website to discover that--after running 20 miles with that buzzing in my ear, not to mention having no recorded data for my final long run after 10 months of training--my less-than-2-year-old Forerunner 110 apparently only has a 1 year warranty.  Had I known that, I would have tossed it into the ocean 7 minutes into yesterday's run!  But it didn't occur to me that it could only be guaranteed for a year, because when someone buys a quality watch they expect to be able to use it reliably for years to come.  Who would spend $150 on a GPS running watch if they thought it would only work for a couple years, at best??

I hope you can offer some assistance in this area, and that my Forerunner 110 and I can still have a long, happy, mutually fulfilling life together.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kari de Jong

No comments:

Post a Comment