Tuesday, November 12, 2013

5 DAYS TILL IRONMAN!

Yesterday I did a 22 mile ride on the IMAZ route.  It was very bittersweet, as I have spent so many hours on my bike on that route, both good and bad, and the next time I ride that stretch of road it will be alongside about 2300 other aspiring Ironmen.  I spent most of the ride thinking about my Ironman journey and what awaits me this Sunday.

As for what that is, I really have no idea.

This is what I do know:

I am excited about the swim because I will not have to count laps or time myself.  All I have to do is swim, turn around, and keep swimming till I get back to the dock.  The hardest part of long swims is keeping track of laps!

I am also not excited for the swim because the water is going to be freezing, my wetsuit feels like tiny rubber hands choking me, and I am going to be in that lake for a long time.

I am worried sick about the bike.  It is 3 times around a 37.33 mile loop.  That means that at some point, all 2300 athletes will be on that 37.33 mile stretch of road at one time.  When the slowest swimmer (me) starts their ride, the faster athletes will be way ahead.  But since it is 3 times around the same loop, the slowest person on their first loop and the fastest person on their second or third loop will all be out there together for a long time.  That is a lot of people, in aerobars, who mostly train alone, all jammed together in a very small space.  2300 people trying to go fast.  2300 people trying to slow down and grab water bottles from novice volunteers.  And 2300 people trying not to run over water bottles thrown from the bikes of the riders in front of them.

I can't wait for the run!  I love to run.  I can push through pain on the run.  And for some reason, based on my training experiences, I run faster after a bike ride than on a regular run.

I will cry at some point.  No, make that, many points.  Sometimes I almost start crying in training (not the crying-in-my-goggles kind of crying) just thinking about the awesomeness of what I am going to be a part of.

The race starts at 7 am.  I have created the following estimated finishing times based on my training:

                            ESTIMATED FINISH TIME RANGE FOR EACH EVENT
             
                           OPTIMISTIC........................................REALISTIC  

SWIM                       8:25 am..............................................8:45 am

BIKE     Loop 1          11:00 am..........................................11:30 am
             Loop 2          1:20 pm.............................................2:00 pm
             Loop 3          3:40 pm.............................................4:30 pm

RUN                          8:30 pm.............................................9:40 pm  

ESTIMATED RACE FINISH    Between 8:30-9:40 pm

These are a great estimates based on consistent training times, but Ironman is a long day (likely the longest of my life!) and anything can happen.

I have been preparing for this day for a year.  What will I do when it is finally over?!

Well, here are some things:

Sleep in and spend lazy mornings drinking coffee with Karin and Riley.

Watch a lot of Netflix.

Finally go watch a new-release movie in a theater.

Go on a month-long trip abroad with Karin, like we usually do in October (otherwise known, this year, as peak training time).

Bake!

Enjoy the holidays with no guilt about missed workouts.

Workout whenever and however I want.

No longer eat 2 breakfasts. (sad face)

For the next 5 days I have light workouts, lots of rest, lots of last minute details to attend to, and lots of carbs to eat.


1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe you are running and IRONMAN race in 5 days!!!! I am so proud of you for all of your training, diligence, research, determination, and dedication. I know all of your training will pay off on Sunday and you will have an IMAZING day!

    ReplyDelete