Friday, November 1, 2013

Garmin Update




For those of you who have been on the edge of your seat wondering what became of my malfunctioning Garmin, let me end your suspense.

Someone from Garmin replied to my letter immediately, with several suggestions for things to try, including downloading any available software updates and possibly a total reset.  When I unwrapped my Garmin from its nest of clothes it had worn itself out with its incessant buzzing and, mercifully, the battery was dead.  So I plugged it into my computer and, naturally, it booted right up as if there was no bad blood between us!

In the process of attempting to download the updates, I finally, accidentally, figured out how to delete the stored workouts on the watch.  I never figured out how to do it, so there are almost 2 years worth of runs stored on that thing.  The thing is, the problems I described in my letter were just the big ones.  Since July I have been having constant, smaller issues.  It took a good 3 minutes to find satellites.  It took forever to load the history (previous runs).  The battery drained very quickly; it would die by the end of a 7 hour bike ride.  But worst of all, the timer would start, but the mileage would shut off, so I would be at least 4 minutes into my run before it showed I had gone anywhere, completely throwing off my pace.

Even though I have not deleted a single run from my Garmin in the almost 2 years I have owned it, at no point did it occur to me that that may be the cause of all the problems.  So when I figured out how to delete recorded data, I went ahead and cleared the whole thing.

And what do you know?  Now it works like a charm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment