Sunday, December 23, 2012

Swimming=Depressing

I went into this Ironman business with the hunch that I would have a natural aptitude for swimming.  I based this hunch on what I affectionately refer to as my "freakishly long arms" and somewhat broad shoulders.  I mean, my knuckles aren't dragging on the ground but if you get a good look at me in a tank top you can't help but get the impression that I can cover a good chunk of water per stroke.

Alas, this does not seem to be the case.  I have been getting in the water pretty consistently (at least 3 times a week) for about 8 weeks now.  I assumed I would be a little slow in the beginning.  But then I figured by my third or fourth session my dormant natural talent would kick in and I would be like a rocket through the water.

I may have overestimated myself.

Turns out this is actually not unusual for me.  Previously I have assumed:

1. If I manage to run 6 x 400 meter repeats in 1:45 each, the next time I should be able to run them in 1:30 each.
2. A single session of the workout mentioned above would result in an immediate drop of my 5k time from 8:00 miles to 7:30 miles.
3. With a few months of fairly balanced but somewhat inconsistent training I can run a 1:45 (8:00/mile) half   marathon, regardless of the fact that I have never come close to maintaining 8:00/mile for longer than a 5k.
4. If I am in training I can eat anything I want.

False. False. False. SUPER FALSE.

5. Long legs=fast running.

False.

In related news, long arms=fast swimming is also false.

So, I am dutifully swimming my laps, slowly but steadily, and I find myself being passed by the old guy in the next lane, and by the non-serious looking teenage boy in the other next lane, and while I have yet to be passed by the generously proportioned woman walking down the lanes, I think the picture is becoming pretty clear.  There is nothing wrong with old guy or teenage boy or generously proportioned woman.  But I really thought freakishly-long-armed fit 34-year old woman would be faster then them.  Granted, I am still in the pool long after they get out.  I used to operate on the belief: I can't outrun you, but I can outlast you.  But when you surround yourself with Ironmen, suddenly outlasting faster athletes is no longer the resume builder it once was.

My "all day" pace is about 2min20sec per 100 yards.  I can maintain that indefinitely.  That would put me at about 1hr42min in an Ironman swim, and that is without 2000 people kicking and punching me in open water.  For a hard 100 yards I can squeeze out a 2:00, but I need a break at the end.  If I go all out for 25 yards I can do it in 23 seconds.  Which means a 1min32sec pace.  So the pace that I can barely manage for a mere 25 yards and 25 yards only, is many an Ironman's regular pace!

Hence swimming=depressing.

True.

No comments:

Post a Comment