Sunday, December 23, 2012

We interrupt this unscheduled Rest Day for an Accidental Workout

I took 2 unplanned rest days this week.  On Thursday, I dutifully changed into my running gear at 4pm after work and went to the track for a planned workout of 800 meter repeats.  I ran one lap.  I was going on 4 hours sleep the night before, and perhaps still catching up from the 48 hour whirlwind trip to Minnesota the 2 previous days.  I ran pathetically around the track and my heart, but more importantly my body, just wasn't in it.  REST DAY.  Unfortunately it seems on unscheduled rest days I have a tendency to replace my workout with pizza and beer.

The fact that I seem to be averaging 2 (sometimes 3!) "rest" days a week this month doesn't worry me too much.  It is still early in my training, and I am not concerned about it having an overall effect.  I am worried that it is indicative of things to come, and if I find myself slacking at this relatively easy stage I will have to be very careful not to continue this pattern once I get into hard core training!  It also worries me that the workouts that tend to fall by the wayside as a result of said rest are the biking workouts, and I know that is where I need the most work.

Unscheduled rest day number 2 was supposed to include commuting to work by bike.  Again very few hours of sleep.  Couldn't get my ass out of bed, out into the cold dark morning.  Drove to work instead.  Stopped for coffee and donut on the way.  (See the pattern??? BAD Ironman!)  Consequently, then I could not ride home, since bike was not present.  Drove home.  REST DAY.

However...that evening we had plans with friends to go ice skating...OUTSIDE!  IN PHOENIX!  Well, it turns out, if you don't ice skate for approximately 15 years, then suddenly decide to go ice skating...SURPRISE!  WORKOUT!  Great for ankle strengthening!  My hamstrings were on fire, so they must have been getting a workout!  My feet were killing me so I know they were getting stronger!  And the "windmill arms" effect that comes from trying to balance on ice skates on a teeny tiny desperately-in-need-of-a-zamboni skating rink packed with children who grew up in Phoenix, and are therefore as disastrous on skates as I am, was a great workout for my arms and shoulders, and will no doubt have a very positive impact on my swimming! 

Here I am strengthening my feet and ankles!  Right after this I will start the "windmill arms" portion of my workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment