Saturday, December 29, 2012

Get it together, Ironman!

At the beginning of this month I posted my actual workouts from one week.  I seriously think that may have been the first and last week of consistent training I have done since embarking on this journey.  Since then, my "training log" looks like I set it in front of my 2-year-old niece with a pen in her hand.  It seems almost every day is covered with plans that are crossed out and reality written in its place.

My sad, sad training log.

Sure, it is a tricky time of year to throw oneself into Ironman training, what with working extra shifts and visiting family and shopping and baking and (heaven forbid) relaxing--all the things that come with this season.  And it is, technically, the base training phase, so I needn't be out there killing myself on 50 mile rides and 15 mile runs.  However...

If I (and I dare say most other people) were to rate the most significant keys to success for a working-stiff-Ironman-in-training (someone who has to make a living and maintain somewhat healthy, rewarding relationships while training for Ironman), TIME MANAGEMENT and CONSISTENCY would be at the top of the list.  Now, if I were to rate the things I am worst at in life, TIME MANAGEMENT and CONSISTENCY would be at the top of the list.  Allow me to illustrate the point with a week from my training log:

Dec 18: 10 mile run (That was in Wisconsin.  What a dedicated Ironman I am to train on vacation!)

Dec 19: 1 hour swim, Kettlebell + leg strength circuit (2x20 reps per exercise)...(Went to the gym practically straight from the airport when we got back from Minnesota!  Good for me, getting right back into a routine!)

So much promise...and then...

Dec 20: NOTHING!

Dec 21: NOTHING! (Not counting ice skating.)

Dec 22: 30 minute swim w/ intervals (squeezed in between work and Christmas party)

Dec 23: NOTHING!

Dec 24: NOTHING!

Dec 25: NOTHING!

Dec 26: NOTHING!

Okay, that was actually 9 days from my training log, but I had to make sure I beat the dead horse of my shame for abandoning any semblance of serious training.

Aside from the terrifying possibility that my lack of time management and consistency may actually not self-correct, there is a much more pressing matter for concern.  My Ironman is still over 10 months away, and I am starting with a decent amount of base fitness already.  I have no doubt there is plenty of time to get back on track and stick to a plan and do the work and build my fitness for the Ironman.  What concerns me is the Tour de Palm Springs century ride I have scheduled February 9th and the marathon I have scheduled February 17.  I do not have time to get back on track and stick to a plan and do the work and build my fitness for those.

I now have a goal to have the posts describing actual training outnumber the posts describing the pathetic and consistent (If nothing else, I am at least consistent in my inconsistency!) derailment of training.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but the road to Ironman is paved with...well, pavement.  And I will be pounding it in my Asics, and rolling along it on my bike, consistently, as a result of managing my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment