Friday, January 4, 2013

The marathon cometh!

I had been debating whether to run the Lost Dutchman Marathon in February after reading a lot of things that suggested marathon training was counter-productive, if not detrimental to Ironman training.  I had been going back and forth, but was generally on the side of saving my debut marathon until after my debut Ironman, when lo and behold, I received registration for the marathon as a Christmas gift!  Well then, that settled it!  I guess I am running a marathon!  Unfortunately I had not been focusing on marathon training, so now, with less than two months till 26.2, I feel woefully unprepared.  So I started Googling things like: "Can I train for a marathon in 6 weeks?"

Lo and behold once again!  Up pops Olympian Deena Kastor's husband/coach, there on my computer screen , proclaiming confidently that if I can run 12 miles this weekend (which, in terms of my schedule, meant today) I could certainly train for a marathon in 6 weeks.  He then laid out a 6 week training plan!

Well.  Hmmmm.  I certainly did not plan to run 12 miles today.  Now I wish I hadn't had McDonald's for lunch.  But I have to know if I can run 12 miles, so I know if I can train for 26.2 in 6 weeks!  So I put on my running gear and Garmin and stuffed some energy chews in my little hydration pack and off I went.

I ran 11.25 miles.  To be clear, I did not stop because I was tired or sore.  On the contrary, I felt fantastic, and could have gone longer.  No, I stopped at 11.25 miles because at 10.25 miles, 1 mile--via the shortest route--from my house, I almost pooped my pants.  Not a rumbling-belly-oh-that's-unpleasant-better-slow-down almost pooped my pants, but an I-may-actually-have-to-drop-my-capris-behind-this-here-bush-in-the-middle-of-this-nice-residential-neighborhood almost pooped my pants.  My stomach had been less then thrilled for most of the run, but it seemed to stop short of total mutiny...until 10.25 miles.  I ran the whole last mile home a little slower, more of a cheeks-clenched shuffle at times, and until the moment I ran through my front door I did not rule out the very real possibility that those capris would be hittin' the ground behind a bush.

So. 11.25 miles.  True I did not go the 12, but it was very clear that I could have gone 12, very comfortably, had it not been for this unfortunate bowel mutiny.

So I am now following the 6 week marathon training plan.  Well, following it as best I can, as combined with the 5 week century ride training plan*.

* Full disclosure: There is no such thing as a 5-week training plan for your first century ride.  That would be insane.  So I started the (nearly as insane) 8-week training plan on week 4! 

No comments:

Post a Comment