Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Slow down!

I had an epiphany during the fifth mile of my 13 mile run today.  At the end of the 4th mile I was already tired, wondering how I was going to get through 9 more miles.  At that point I turned off the street onto a dirt path, and within a few minutes I suddenly felt fantastic!  I mean, I literally said, out loud, "Wow! I feel fantastic!"  When I looked down at my GPS I realized I had inadvertently slowed down by almost 10 seconds a mile!  That's when it hit me: Going just a little bit slower feels better!  I felt like I could easily go on for the next 9 miles and maybe longer.  Because now I was actually running what my body apparently considered an easy pace.

This was truly a revelation for me.  I have been running for a long time, and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, so I really should have made this connection a long time ago.  After all, common sense, race results, and years of various speed workouts would dictate that when I run longer, I run slower.  Conversely, when I run a shorter distance, I am able to run faster.  And yet, somehow, I never turned that logic around to realize that if I choose to run a little slower, I can run comfortably for longer.  When I am struggling part way through a long run, I don't recall ever making the conscious effort to slow down.  I often slow down eventually, unintentionally, but by then it is too late.  I will struggle the rest of the way.  If I go slower early, before I need to, I can maintain a steady, comfortable pace the whole way.

This logic is so simple, so basic, it is astounding (and embarrassing) that I didn't realize it earlier. I mean, it's ridiculous!  Going a little slower feels better.  Of course it does!  That is just common sense!  That's why I hate speed work.  It hurts.  Slower hurts less.  I have considered a couple of reasons for this mental block: 1. The pace that my body feels is easy is slower than I think I should be going and 2. It goes against my instincts to slow down.  The whole point of training is to get faster.  So I would never tell myself, while training, to go slower!  But I sure will now!

No comments:

Post a Comment