Wednesday, January 16, 2013

6 Days without exercise!

Today is the 6th day since my run in Central Park.  6 days without exercise!  Though I am constantly beating myself up for only getting in 4 days of training week after week, the fact is I very seldom go more than 3 days without a workout.  Yes, I am inconsistent for an Ironman, but for a regular person, I am actually pretty consistent!  So 6 days without a workout is a long stretch.  But it's not just 6 days of not working out...it is 6 days of not working out WITH A MARATHON LESS THAN 5 WEEKS AWAY, FOR WHICH I AM ALREADY UNPREPARED!

It was already cause for concern when I found myself Googling "Marathon training in 6 weeks," so imagine my chagrin to find myself, 2 weeks later, Googling "Marathon training in 4 weeks."  But the truly disconcerting part is that I got a lot more hits when I Googled 4 week marathon training than when I had Googled 6 week.  This leads me to 3 startling conclusions: 1. A scary amount of procrastinators are out there, 2. An even scarier proportion of those procrastinators are hoping to finish marathons with next-to-no preparation and, 3. Less time on Google could allow more time for actual marathon training.

Today I feel much better.  I am hoping to be back to work the day after tomorrow, and back to working out the same day.  After a full week with virtually no physical activity I know I will have to ease back into my "routine" (and let's face it, I use that term loosely anyway).  So at this point I may actually be even more behind, fitness-wise, than when I originally Googled "6 week marathon training."  The good news is, I have no doubt that a search for "3 week marathon training" will yield even more responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment