Monday, January 7, 2013

A "Full" week of workouts

So here is my past training week:

Mon.  No workout** (Shocker!)
Tues.  No workout** (Astounding!)
Wed. 11.25 mile run (aka "The run involving the near-pooping of the pants")
Thur. 16 hour work day
Fri. 20 mile ride + 1 mile run off the bike***
Sat. 11 mi. ride to work, 11 mi. ride home + 2 mile run off the bike***
Sun. (Planned: 5 mi. trail run + 45 min. swim)
        Actual: 30 minute run including 6 x 45 second sprints

** Disclaimer: I was in northern AZ for Karin's birthday (Dec. 31st) where it was snowy and icy and I couldn't find a safe place to run.

*** I love these workouts when I run right after the bike.  Even though the runs are short so far, they make me feel like a real triathlete!

So there we have it.  Not a terrible week.  I would say I am satisfied with 4 of those training days. I am most disappointed on the days when I have plenty of time to do a long workout but I let myself get sidetracked by other things.  Like Sunday, where there is a slight discrepancy between the workout I planned and the workout I did.  I don't really think any workout of someone training for an endurance event (or several endurance events) should be as short as 30 minutes; but at least it had a little intensity. I don't mind that I didn't get in a workout on my 16 hour day, because my job is so physical.  But I would like to replace one or both of the "no workout" days with "a workout."  Of course, it was a special occasion, but you may be noticing, as I am, that there seem to be "special occasions" every week!  Friends in town!  Girlfriend's birthday!  Christmas!  Nap time!  Breakfast!  So many occasions! And now it is snowboard season, so there will be days spent doing that. That really is the bottom line: There is always going to be something.  That is why Ironman training is not easy.  That really is the biggest challenge of being a regular person training for an Ironman--getting in the training, doing the work, despite the constant demands on our time.

Now, the following is my PLANNED training for the current week:

Mon. Swim, in my dreams (Done!)
Tues. 1 hour swim w/ drills
Wed. 10 mile run*
Thur. 1 hour indoor cycling + strength training*
Fri. 1 hour indoor cycling including long speed intervals*
Sat. 13 mile run*
Sun. 16 hour work shift

*In New York City

Let's see how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment