Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A BAD, BAD DAY

I had a pretty productive training week last week.  It looked like this:

Mon: 32 mile (hilly) ride
         40 min. full-body strength training
Tue: 45 min. trail run
Wed: 13 mi. run + 1 hr. hike
Thur: 28 mile (hilly) ride
Fri: 45 min. swim (focus on torso rotation)
Sat: Rest day
Sun: 30 min. run w/ 6 X 30 sec. sprints

Yesterday I attempted the 28-mile ride that makes me want to cry...but I actually started crying before I even got to the "hard" part!  There was a headwind which I later found out was about 13 mph.  My shoes were acting up AGAIN! I couldn't even clip in because I was afraid I couldn't get out quickly, which is not an option on the streets where I ride.  There is a lot of traffic and a lot of side streets, which I never pass without slowing down and making eye contact with the driver, because they very often don't realize I am there!  So I can't be struggling to unclip from my pedals when a car rolls through a stop sign before it sees me.  And I was so tired of riding on crappy roads, which is mostly all there is around me.  I rode part of the ride on the canal bike path to get away from traffic, but the surface conditions on the path were even worse than the road!  And there was no way I was going to attempt the spirit-crushing hill not being able to clip in.  It was such an awful ride.  It was supposed to be 28 miles, but it ended up only being 13.  But it felt like 28.  I have never hated cycling as much as I did yesterday.  I was regretting ever signing up for Ironman, since it means months of long, hard rides in my future.  I used to like bike riding.  Back when it was fun.  When there were no goals.

We all have days like that, right?

Right???

No comments:

Post a Comment