Friday, January 4, 2013

Forum half-truths

In addition to the afore-mentioned Googling of things like "Training for a marathon in 6 weeks" I have been hitting up the internet forums, like Beginner Triathlete, asking the same questions.  On the bike forums I ask if it is realistic to ride my first century on about 8 weeks training.  On the running forums I ask if it is realistic to run my first marathon with about 8 weeks training.

What I DO NOT do is ask in the forums if it is realistic to ride my first century and run my first marathon in less than 8 weeks...within a week of each other.  The forum people, though very nice and helpful, are on a need-to-know basis.  The cyclists and the runners mostly say the same thing:  It is certainly not recommended, and it may hurt, but it is possible, and if I really want to do it I should just go ahead and do it!  They are cautiously encouraging, about the century or the marathon.  I dare not ask about the century and the marathon.

Though I suspect the answer would be the same general sentiment:  DON'T DO IT!  But if you want to, JUST DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment