Thursday, February 21, 2013

Learn something new every day

As a novice triathlete I am constantly learning new things about my new sport(s).  I have looked at a lot of swim training workouts, and many of them say things like: 5 x 100 on 2:00.  Now, I assumed that meant: Swim 100 yards in 2 minutes, rest, repeat 5 times.  But noooooo!  It turns out the 2 minute "interval" includes the actual swimming AND the rest.  So while I have been looking at these workouts and thinking I am not THAT much slower than everyone else, because my intervals are close to the recommended speeds, I now find out that they actually refer to a much faster pace.  This feels akin to, say, if I felt okay about my weight because a lot of fairly fit people my height weigh close to the same, and then I find out they weigh the same...with a 30 lb. backpack on!

No comments:

Post a Comment