Thursday, February 7, 2013

Too much bike for me

Yesterday I went for a 30 mile ride.  But I only did 15.  More pedal trouble.  And now it was starting to really piss me off!  These pedal issues have ruined almost every one of my last 10 or more training rides!  So I went back to the store to get the problem solved once and for all.  It is just not fun to ride when you have no idea if you will be able to put your foot down at the next stop sign!

Well, we finally figured out the problem.  The screws in my cleats were stripped (which I no doubt managed to do when I adjusted them myself).  Fortunately, the simple solution is a set of new cleats.

Well it just so happens that Performance Bicycle was having a "liquidation" sale, and there was an amazing Kestrel tri bike that is normally about $4200 on sale for...$1200!  Naturally I became all twitterpated by such an amazing bike for such a mind-blowing deal!  Even though I am in no way in need of or ready for a tri bike, I was still tempted to buy it!  If nothing else I could sell it for much more!  Tri bikes are designed to go straight and fast very well, and that is about it.  It is completely the wrong bike for the kind of riding I do, so I know it is not the bike for me.  However, I have never actually ridden a tri bike before, and it was just so beautiful, I just wanted to see what it was like.

This is what it was like:


That's right.  I crashed on my test ride.  Clearly it was too much bike for me.  It seems I tapped the break or turned the wheel just a hair before my body was in the proper position to brake or turn and I flew over the handle bars and landed face first on the asphalt.  My first thought, of course, was: I hope I didn't ruin this bike!  I honestly do not know how I still have my 2 front teeth.  What I do not have is some skin and "tissue" from my upper lip area, but what I do have are some fresh sutures and an attractive band-aid mustache and road-rashed chin.

I did not buy the bike.

But the worst part is, after all of that, the store was out of stock of the cleats I needed!

1 comment: