Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Left Foot Rebellion

Yesterday was very productive for my cycling; however very little of that productivity consisted of actual cycling.  More like shopping.  I got new bike shorts (which I desperately needed!), leg warmers, and sunglasses (mine broke, again, on the way to the bike store.)  I did manage to get in 19 miles of very enjoyable and productive actual riding.  But the main focus of yesterday was to get my bike shoes fixed!  I took them to the shop and told the guy what was going on, and he said it sounded like the cleats just weren't screwed in tight enough.  Which I thought was wrong, because I felt like I screwed them in tight.  So he "fixed" them, I did some shopping, and later I went for a ride.

Well, the right one is now fantastic!  No issues.  My shoe came out immediately every time, with just the usual little twist to the right.

The left one, on the other hand, still sucks.  I got stuck in it several times.  The cleat was turned again when I took it off.  But the weird thing is, the right cleat was twisted too, and that one is working great!  Maybe it's me?  Maybe my right foot is a good little foot that naturally turns just so, and my left foot is a rebellious little foot that is so desperately in need of affection that it thinks negative attention is better than no attention at all. So my left foot and I are doing some one-on-one training, so it knows that it is just as loved as the right foot, but that bad behavior will not be tolerated.  I actually think I may have figured out a solution.  If I turn the heel of my left shoe just a tiny bit toward the bike,  after it is clipped in to the pedal, which has the effect of straightening out my foot, it seems to come out quite easily when I turn it to the right.  But I just figured that trick out near the end of my ride, so I have to do some more tests before the results are conclusive.  In the mean time, I have been alternating clipped in feet, clipping in only one at a time, so I am never completely stuck in the pedals.  The trick, now, is remembering which foot is clipped in

No comments:

Post a Comment