Thursday, February 14, 2013

Safety First! Best way to Avoid workout catastrophes: Don't workout!

I decided the best way to avoid another Wednesday catastrophe was to not do anything on Wednesday.  I settled on this prudent course of action around 8:30 pm Wednesday night, when I looked at the clock and realized it was 8:30 pm and I hadn't done anything.  I don't know how this happens, but it is a startlingly common phenomenon in my life.  I seem to be more productive on days when I have more going on.  Often on days when I have nothing going on one cup of coffee leads to four and the next thing I know it's like I have reached my caffeine threshold, and actually surpassed it, to the point where, without even having done anything to exert myself, I am now ready for a nap.

But today is a new day.  A day which started with a pool workout, brief though it was.  I went to the pool before work, but I stopped at the grocery store on the way to the pool to get fruit for my double shift at work today.  It was 6:02 am; the grocery store opened at 6:00 am.  The only people in the store were swarms of desperate men trolling the aisles buying last-minute flowers, candy and balloons on this, Valentine's Day.  10 procrastinating and desperate husbands and boyfriends; one register open.  That delayed the start of my swim (the fault of the men; certainly not my fault for waking up later than planned) so it came in under a half hour, but it felt great to be back in the pool!  There was a girl in the lane next to me who had all the "stuff": kickboard, paddles, pull buoy, and very nicely coordinated swimsuit, cap and goggles.  She swam faster than me.  But I was taking it easy.  So I picked it up.  And finally, during my 50 yard intervals, when I was pushing myself, I finally swam faster than she swam!  Except that she was swimming with paddles at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment