Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Evolution

Let's review the evolution of my Ironman training "plan" since I began this adventure:

Then:
Training to race a marathon requires a good deal of run-specific training, which detracts from your overall triathlon training, as well as a long recovery after the race.
Now:
I guess I am running a marathon!

Then:
Usually my training runs include a tempo run and repeats or intervals each week, in addition to a long run.  But I was so worried about getting in the mileage for the marathon that my speed workouts have fallen by the wayside.
Now:
I should focus on strength and speed in the early part of my training, and worry about building endurance as I get closer to the Ironman.

Then:

I am ashamed to admit that I have not been on my bike since the Tour de Palm Springs, 12 days ago.

My goal for the rest of my base training phase, which will last until the end of May, is to just get on my bike and ride as often as possible.  I am not going to worry about too many speed workouts. 

Until I build up my comfort and confidence on the bike I can't really focus on building the speed and power I need.


Now:
I have actually read that riding on a trainer (an actual road bike mounted on a stationery stand) can be a more effective workout than riding an actual bike on the road, because there is no coasting, no stopping, no tailwind; and you can completely focus on your workout without petty distractions like trying to stay alive.  

I am thinking the best plan for my training for now may be to do 2 rides a week on the spin bike and just do my weekly long ride on the road, so I can build my strength and speed indoors and still improve my bike handling skills outside. 


Now and Then:
My fear of the bike has reached epic proportions.

I felt much more comfortable on the bike.  By the end of my ride, I had actually ENJOYED myself.  There is hope for me yet!

That is when I made another discovery: the first few miles of every ride suck.  


It seems the biggest evolution has been in my approach to training on the bike.  And now it is changing yet again.  I am sticking with my most recent plan to work on strength and speed first for running and biking, and frequency and technique for swimming.  My current IDEAL weekly plan is this:

4 swims (3 short technique/speed focused, 1 long endurance-building)


3 runs [1 speed, 1 tempo (portion at race pace), 1 long]


3 rides (1 speed indoors, 1 hill simulation indoors, one long outside-followed by short "transition" run)


3 strength sessions (2 weights, 1 plyometrics)


But now I will be replacing the long run with an extra bike session for the rest of my base training (until July 1st).  There are several reasons for this change.  1. Running is the only one of the 3 sports in which I will improve by doing the other two.  Biking and swimming will make me a better runner, but running will not make me a better biker or swimmer.  2. I have the biggest background in running, so I already have muscle memory and a base to draw on, which will make it easier to build my running efficiency more quickly, whereas improvement in the other sports will require more time. 3. My efficiency in the swim and the bike will set me up for a successful run, which makes improving in those 2 areas almost more important than becoming a better runner.  4. The weekly run I will be eliminating temporarily will be the long run, which is designed to train your body to continue working efficiently when tired.  Running a few miles immediately after a 3 hour bike ride will effectively do the same thing.  The shorter, more intense runs will actually go farther toward improving my form and running efficiency.  (Also, on a side note, I will be on vacation for almost 2 weeks in June where I will only be able to run and swim, so I want to build as much bike fitness as possible before that.)


I emphasized IDEAL in CAPS, bold and italics because that ideal week, thus far, exists only on paper.  In reality I have not managed one yet.  I have gotten very close, very consistently for the last 5 weeks or so.  I think I have hit all 3 key bike workouts each week since I added indoor riding.  I am usually missing either a run, a swim, or a strength session.  In fact I am almost always missing at least one key run session, so I suppose I am not so much replacing a run with a ride, but just adding a ride to my actual (as opposed to ideal) training week. 


To recap: My new plan is still get strong and fast, but now bike more and run less.








No comments:

Post a Comment