Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Long day

Today was my long workout day.  40 mile bike ride followed by 20 minute "transition" run.  True to form I hated the first few miles.  Around mile 4 I looked at my odometer and thought, "Is this almost over yet?  I can't believe I have to do this for 2 1/2 more hours."  But I told myself, "You know the drill.  The first few miles always suck.  It will get fun around mile 7.  Just deal with it."  And sure enough, right around mile 7, like clockwork, I started to relax, settle in, and enjoy myself.  It wasn't all fun and games after that, since it was very windy, and eventually I started to get tired and frankly, a little bored.  I was ready to stop at mile 30, at which point I was back near my car, but I planned to ride 40 miles, so I turned around and headed back out on the canal path to get in another 10 miles.  I expected to be super bored riding the exact same path I had already ridden out and back already, but it was actually the exact opposite.  Everything was familiar, so I felt very comfortable and even stopped braking on the way into the steep, dark underpasses.  I finished back at my car after 39.55 miles, then changed my shorts and shoes and ran for 20 minutes.

I was parked in a shopping center parking lot, in a quiet back area.  I had to change from my bike shorts (designed to be worn without underwear, to prevent chafing) into my running shorts (also worn without underwear, with the "brief' built in).  So, essentially, there was a period of time when I was bare-assed in the front seat of my car.  Naturally, of the entire sprawling parking lot, the car parked next to me is the one that has a guy in it.  Not entering or exiting the vehicle.  Just sitting in the driver's seat, innocently reading his Kindle.  Really?  The whole parking lot!  The guy who sits in his car and reads is the one who parks next to me!

I managed to change with no indecent exposure and go for my run.  I think I did a great job fueling during my ride because I felt great on my run!  Last time I did a 36 mile ride and during the transition run afterward I felt weak, even lightheaded, and actually stopped to walk a couple times.  But this time I felt great.

At the end I had averaged 14 mph for the 40 mile ride, which is not good.  That is not gonna cut it.  It was very windy, and not a head wind out and tail wind back.  It was a crazy cross-wind that was often hitting me hard from the side and changing direction, so that I occasionally got an awesome tailwind, but not even close to half the ride.  It really surprised me that I averaged 14 mph today, on a path without traffic or stoplights.  On the Ironman course I averaged 16 mph, and about 12 miles of that was scary nervous traffic riding.  But about 11 miles of that was also downhill.

I clearly have a lot of speed to gain, but for now I am just happy to be getting in long rides, getting more comfortable on the bike, and actually enjoying myself from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment