Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mental fitness



In my last post, as I looked back on my lackluster training week, I concluded that I was not any more fit, but at least I was not any less fit.  Turns out I may have overestimated myself.

My first 2 training sessions of this week left much to be desired.  I cut my trainer ride short after 35 minutes on Monday because it felt really hard and I was frustrated; and I cut my swim short on Tuesday for the same reason.  Everything just felt so hard.  I texted Karin and said, "I am having an Ironman crisis of faith.  Everything just feels SO HARD."  Her response: "Of course it's hard!!! Otherwise everyone would do it!!! Gotta work through the s#*t workouts yo."

So there it is.  Not quite as eloquent as the message above, which I found on my Facebook wall after I wimped out on my workouts.  My body may in fact not be any less fit than it was a week ago, but clearly my mind is.  Ironman training is as much mental as physical, and my mind was out of shape.

Today I did my long workout: 40 mile ride followed by 15 minute transition run.  Though most of my rides are basically out and back routes, I have noticed that somehow the back is always shorter than the out.  Today I rode 17 miles out, then came back the same general way, with a few slight variations that, if anything, should have added distance, and yet when I got back to the starting point I came up short.  I ended up adding some random loops just to reach my 40 miles!  The good news is: I ENJOYED THE WHOLE RIDE!  From the very beginning to the very end, I had a great time on my bike. 

I feel much better in my head.  I am ready to push through "tired" to get to "done."




No comments:

Post a Comment