Monday, April 29, 2013

First Open Water Swim!



I am in San Diego for a couple of days, and this morning I attempted my first open water swim, in La Jolla Cove, often referred to as "one of the best open water swimming spots in Southern California."  Last night I was online reading things like "Unusually high number of shark sightings in La Jolla Cove this year" and such.  On the La Jolla Cove Swim Club Facebook page there was a video posted of a 7-foot shark (supposedly a Seven Gill Shark, which is generally harmless unless "provoked").  The comment posted in response was "Reminder swimmers: These sharks are always there.  Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there."  Awesome.

So around noon today, once the sun finally showed its face, I donned my wetsuit and bright orange swim cap (both gifts from Karin!) and waded into the cove.  I was actually more concerned about the frolicking sea lions than sharks.  They were everywhere!  I had seen some "playing with" a snorkeler.  I was actually not cold at all, which was a relief.  And I had plenty of mobility in my shoulders, which is a big concern when swimming in a wetsuit.  The neckline was choking me quite a bit, but I hope that will get better.  I was the only one out there for most of my swim, which was a bit disconcerting.  (Karin later told me that tourists near her were making comments like, "Look there is someone swimming out there!"  So it was pretty cool to be that girl for at least a few minutes.)  I kept spying frisky sea lions in front of me, so I veered off to avoid them.  I only swam a half mile (about 20 minutes), but I plan to go back tomorrow morning, hopefully when there are more swimmers out there with me!

It was a relief to get the first swim out of the way.  Now I know I can do it.  Also, the water was 63 degrees, about the same as Tempe Town Lake during IMAZ, so it is a huge relief to know that my wetsuit kept me plenty warm; the cold was not even an issue!


La Jolla Cove.  That tiny spot in the bottom left is me!  That round white thing on the right is the 1/4 mile buoy.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you swam in open water! Terrifying! I could never do it. I'm a pool girl all the way. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete