Friday, March 29, 2013

Fish out of water

Today I swam for the first time in 6 days.  I felt just like a fish.  A fish that has been hauled onto a fishing boat and is flopping on the deck in the throes of death.  Turns out it is very, very true that frequency is imperative to swimming skill.  About 15 minutes in I finally found my sea legs.  I will not make that mistake again.  Not that it was deliberate, but I will make sure not to go more than a few days without getting in the pool.

Yesterday my "workout" was the 10 mile bike commute home from work, which was useless for speed work but a fantastic opportunity to work on bike-handling skills, since it ranked as one of my scarier commutes in terms of traffic and its direct impact on my survival.  Generally my commutes do focus, by necessity, on survival rather than training.  Sadly, the extra hour I spend commuting by bike instead of car would be better spent, strictly from a training perspective, on the spin bike at the gym, cranking out the high intensity intervals.

I have managed to add the strength training workouts I planned for my early-season training this week.  I have done the total body weight training workout twice, and will do a plyometric workout in the next couple days.  Unfortunately, it is clear from my training log that I did not so much add the strength workouts as replace the more important SwimBikeRun workouts with them.  OOPS!  Better work on that. Despite my light SwimBikeRun training in the last few days, I am constantly exhausted.  I have been ready to pass out before 8 pm (!) every night this week (inconvenient on the nights I worked till 10 pm), and yet I seldom wake feeling well-rested.  This does not bode well for 4 months from now when the real training begins.

Well, it is now 8:25 pm.  Well past my bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment