Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Plan: Get Strong and Fast

I mentioned previously that I read a lot about Ironman training and I believe everything I read, which can cause a lot of confusion.  But the conclusion I have come to is that even though there are a lot of contradictory ideas out there, everyone is actually right.  Training for any event is a highly individual thing, and considering how long the training lasts for an event like Ironman, the best course of action is whatever course of action you can actually follow.  A great plan is useless if it is not something you can execute.  It is important to know your priorities as well as your body, because different things are effective for different people.  Some say high volume is the way to get better.  Others say lower volume but higher intensity gets the same results in less time.  And in reality, I believe both approaches are equally effective.  It just depends on the person.  Some people cannot handle the high volume required to get really good.  Because it really does take a lot of time, and it takes a big toll on your body.  And other people can't handle the intensity that is required to fast-track results.  Because if you are working out for half the time of someone else, you really have to bring it.  A lot of people just can't push themselves as hard as they really need to to get the results.

At the Havasu Half Marathon last April, my fastest half so far!

For myself, I know that I feel more progress when I push myself harder for shorter periods of time.  That is when I see results.  My fastest half marathon time to date was in April of last year.  Up until mid January I had been training not for a half-marathon, but for the Tough Mudder, a 12 mile obstacle course run.  That training did include some long runs (10-12 miles), but I was focusing a lot on strength building, doing a lot of shorter interval runs and weight-training.  In fact, all of the times I have felt the most fit were when I put more focus on strength and speed than endurance.  And I always seemed to find that the endurance came naturally as a consequence of training my heart and muscles.  I have also noticed that when I am specifically training for a longer race, like a half marathon, I instinctively shift my focus from building strong muscles to just running.  I have always been afraid that if I did too much strength training I would take away from my run-specific training, and it's the running that makes you a better runner, right?  Well, I now think not.  Historically, it seems I am at my best when I am at my strongest.


 
I believe training for obstacles like these in the Tough Mudder
led directly to my fastest half marathon. 




There are at least 2 things that everyone does seem to agree on: 1. Swim technique, not general fitness, is the key to getting faster in the pool, and 2. It takes longer to build strength and speed than to build endurance.  What that means for me is that 1. Shorter, more frequent swim sessions focusing on technique are more beneficial than fewer, longer sessions, and 2. I should focus on strength and speed in the early part of my training, and worry about building endurance as I get closer to the Ironman.

So with all of this information at my disposal, combined with my experience of what seems to work best for me, I have settled on the following plan for my training:

1. 3 short (20-30 minute), technique focused swims per week plus 1 longer (60-75 minute) one for stamina.

2. No runs longer than 10 miles until 4 months prior to Ironman (and even a 10-miler will be only occasionally), with a focus on shorter, harder runs.

3. 3 Strength building workouts per week until 4 months prior to Ironman (this includes weight training and plyometrics), then possibly decrease to 1 or 2 sessions per week, based on feel.

4. 2 strength/speed focused HARD indoor cycling workouts per week plus one long outdoor ride for stamina and bike handling skill-building.  (I will add more outdoor rides as I get closer to Ironman.)

I will follow this plan until July 1st, building strength and speed (and consequently muscle endurance and aerobic capacity), at which point I will assess my fitness level and adjust the 4-month block of serious training accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment