Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The first few miles always suck

After the resounding success of my long ride on the Ironman course, I had been actually looking forward to my next long road ride.  I felt like I had made a breakthrough on the bike and that it would be a steady progression from that point forward.

Ummm...not so much.  Sunday I had a 2 hour ride planned on the Arizona Canal paved path that runs through central Phoenix.  It is a drive from my house (I went straight from work, which is a little closer), but it is a great place to ride because it is away from traffic and I don't even have to cross streets; there are actual underpasses.  So that alone should have removed a ton of the fear factor that plagues my bike rides.  And yet...

The underpasses were very steep and dark, so with my sunglasses on I couldn't see a thing, which caused me to slow down to about 11-12 mph (going downhill!) entering each underpass.  And for some reason I still found myself constantly thinking that every imperfection in the path surface was just waiting to take me down.  I got so frustrated that I turned around after 4 miles.  Within half a mile I felt myself calming down, settling in, and enjoying myself.  That is when I made another discovery: the first few miles of every ride suck.  Those first few miles are usually the traffic-choked ones, so I had attributed it to that, but apparently it's just me.  Apparently I have to overcome my fear every time I get on the bike.  So now, knowing this, I can just suffer through those first miles, suck it up, and get to the good part!

So after my whopping 8 MILE RIDE, I was feeling like, once again, I had not had a successful training week.  But when I looked back over my training log, I realized that, though few of my sessions were particularly long or intense, I had gotten in 3 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs, and a strength workout!  8 mile rides do not an Ironman make, but frequency and consistency, over time, does an Ironman make.

Today I rode to work, then to the gym, where I did a full body strength workout, then home.  22 miles of riding in all.  I was clipped in the whole way, which I have never done on a commute before.  Riding to work it was dark, and there was a lot of traffic, and I was clipped in.  And I just sucked it up and did it.  I think riding to work may be the best training motivation for this simple fact: I have to get to work.  I cannot wimp out or get tired or get scared and nervous and all pathetic and turn around half way through.  I have to get to work, so I just have to keep going.  Darkness.  Traffic.  Clipped in.  Done!  And now I feel great!  Like I have made real strides!

Until the first few miles of my next long ride.  Because we all now know that those are just gonna suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment