Thursday, March 14, 2013

"I got this"


Today I rode the Ironman Arizona bike course.  Not 112 miles!  The bike course is 3 laps on a 38 mile out and back course, so I rode 1 lap.  I just wanted to familiarize myself with the course and get in a good ride.  At mile 4 I was a mess. Traffic was whizzing by at 55 mph, and there was no bike lane, and in many places not even a shoulder.  I was literally thinking, "I hate this. I hate this.  I hate this.  I can't do this!  How the hell am I supposed to do an Ironman when I hate riding my bike?!"  I seriously considered just stopping my ride at 4 miles and turning around.  (I DID NOT cry though, so I am making progress.)  But then I got to the main part of the ride, The Beeline Highway, which is about 11 miles out and 11 miles back, with a huge shoulder and no stop lights.  Around mile 18 I suddenly thought, "Okay.  I got this.  I can do this."  I felt much more comfortable on the bike.  By the end of my ride, I had actually ENJOYED myself.  There is hope for me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment